Thursday, February 17, 2011

Islamic art

To get into a productive study vibe I decided to take on some extra classes. Not only to get more inspired to write my thesis but also to broaden my knowledge. I am doing research on Ethiopian christian manuscripts and I decided that it could be a good addition to my curriculum if I would take a course in Islamic art.

For my course I had to by this book by Jonathan Bloom and Selma Blair, Islamic arts. Which is a beautiful illustrated and written book about the Islamic arts throughout times. They also wrote, Prisse d'Avennes, Arab art. (Taschen, E 119,95)








This gorgeous book about Emile Prisse d'Avannes, a French orientalist who documented his travels through north Africa is currently high on my wishlist.

There will be exhibtion about him starting in March in Bibliothèque nationale de France in Paris, Visions of Egypt, Emile Prisse d'Avannes 1807 - 1879.
There is also a beautiful exhibition about a collection of Islamic arts in de De Nieuwe Kerk in Amsterdam, Passion for perfection, Islamic art from the Khalili collections. 


Images: Taschen.com

No comments:

Post a Comment